Saturday, January 22, 2011

Boobs, Booze and Bitterness

As I have mentioned before, I work at a hotel.  It’s not only a hotel, but it a hotel and gaming establishment, which greatly influences the clientele we see.  Don’t get me wrong, probably 50% of the people we see are normal average travelers.  Some are here on business, some are here on vacation, but that 50% is just your average person, polite, happy to be here, and sober.  Then there are the rest.

For the remaining 50% of our guests, we get quite a variety of individuals.  It’s a weird combination that often leaves me bewildered. 

We get the partiers, those here for bachelor/bachelorette parties, birthday parties, wedding receptions etc.  These are the people who are often in their 20’s and early 30’s who lose all common sense and decency while they are here.  They drink too much, party too loud, and on occasion get arrested.  The girls get all dolled up in outfits that I am betting they would normally not be caught dead in, and the guys just act like complete asses, getting into verbal, and occasionally physical disputes with complete strangers as well as their own best friends.  Normally I would attribute this to an overindulgence in alcohol, but I haven’t noticed this problem at area bars, juts in establishments like ours, where they feel safe because their bed is only a few hundred yards away.

Another phenomenon I have become acquainted with in my time here is the ability some women have to use their undergarments as a purse.  I will admit that I have seen instances on TV of women who might have kept some cash in their bosom area, but the people I am speaking of are carrying around an entire purse worth of contents stuffed into their bras.  Seriously, I once saw a woman remove her wallet, a pack of cigarettes, a lighter, and her cell phone from her shirt.  Then these women try to hand over their ID and credit cards and I REALLY don’t want to touch them.

Then we get the people who are just bitter.  They spend a large amount of their free time here (not to mention their money) here and therefore feel like they own the place, and everyone who works here.  They are entitled and self-righteous and petty, and yet, it’s our job to treat them like guests each and every time.  It does kind of wear on a person to be confronted with such negativity all the time, but luckily we do have some extremely pleasant guest to counterbalance the negative Nancy’s that we encounter.

All of this adds up to an interesting mix of daily interactions.  Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not, but at the end of the day I remind myself to rise above the bullshit and put on a happy face, because while they are paying for the privilege to be here, I get paid, so I’m the one who ends up ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment